Monday, June 21, 2010

Fry Bread and Grape Dumplings

One of the things I expereinced on Mission Trip with the Youth this year was Fry Bread Tacos and Grape Dumplings (on the left). I have had Fry Bread before.

My wife used to make Fry Bread (on the right) when we first got married but it has been years since we ate it. I believe the last time we had any was when we were on vacation in New Mexico. I can't remember the last time she made it. Let me tell you, as good a cook as my wife is, hers did not compare to the delectable delight of the women of Davis Chapel United Methodist Church and Broken Arrow United Methodist Church.

The Davis Chapel women fixed Fry Bread Tacos for lunch for our work team and the Broken Arrow crew fixed them for the whole Mission Team and served them before worship on Wednesday night.

Fry Bread Tacos (on the right) consist of a fresh, hot piece of fry bread topped with deliciously seasoned pinto beans, seasoned hamburger (like taco meat), lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese jalapenos and hot sauce. They were so big and so filling I could only eat one, though one of the teenage boys ate two.
What a treat from the women of the church. Without all the taco fixin's and a little bit of honey, you can have a sopapilla like dessert. I'll bet they would be good with a little cinnamon, too.

Grape Dumplings were a little bit of heaven. All of us were fascinated by just the name alone. We couldn't wait to taste them. We were told that the dumplings were made with Possum Grapes, a variety I had never heard of. I've heard of mustang grapes, fox grapes, muscadines, concordes and a host of others but not Possum Grapes. Whatever kind of grape they used made these little dumpling absolutely deliecious. How do you describe it?

Imagine old fashioned dumplings but with a hint of grape flavoring. Now imagine the thick sweet gooey juice of a cobbler, one made with grapes. Mix the two together and serve them hot with either a little cream or some fresh homemade ice cream (that's how we had ours). Sweet and tart and gooey. They are rich and delicious and you don't want to stop eating but you know you have to cause if you don't stop you'll pop and if you don't pop then you'll be as big as a bus.

I've got to find a recipe, though where I'll find Possum Grapes, I don't know. I'm sure if I make it with anything but thos grapes it won't taste the same. But I'll try. Truly Mr. Welch should be jealous.

2 comments:

  1. My mother makes grape dumplings for family occasions. She has always said the "old way" was to use possum grapes, but she uses welchs grape juice nowadays. The dough is the same as used for frybread, just boiled instead of fried.

    ReplyDelete