Sunday, July 18, 2010

Friends and a Cinnamon Roll

As you can see, I'm catching up on actually posting some blogs I'd written while driving (actually Mary is driving, I'm writing on my mini) but hadn't actually taken time to post yet.

We went to visit and worship with some good friends of ours. He is the Pastor of the United Methodist Church in Flatonia, Texas. We've known Rob and Sandra Clopton for years. I was their pastor in Arlington, saw their kids grow up, performed the wedding for their daughter Tracy and her husband Preston. And I had the privilege of being Rob's pastor when he answered the call to ministry. His job, prior to ministry, took him to the Southwest Texas Conference, but I was there through all the struggle with the call. It was a joy to be with them today.

Anyway, they insisted on taking us to lunch but I told them we were bringing dessert. After a great worship service and great lunch at the local eatery, we went back to the parsonage. I honestly had not looked in the bag from the time we bought the Cinnamon Roll until we took it out of the bag. Everybody had the same reaction. "Oh my God, it's huge." It was as big as your head. I kid you not. It weighed in at 3 1/2 pounds. Franken-Roll.

We couldn't wait to try it. It took Sandra awhile to figure out how to serve it. But eventually she cut some slices off of this thick heavy cinnamon roll and warmed them up in the microwave. It was absolutely heavenly. It was rich and warm with just the right amount of everything. Sandra cut what was left in half and we each have enough for at least two more desserts. As big as this thing is, I think you could possibly die if you tried to eat the whole thing. You have to wash it down with a little coffee or milk and that added to all the dough, well it probably wouldn't be pretty.

And lest you think I'm exagerating about the size of this thing, here's a picture of one of the waitstaff standing in front of the "Cinnamon Roll To Go stand." You can see her hand next to one of those delicious monstors, on the right hand side of the picture.

If you're ever in San Antonio, you have to go to Lulu's Bakery and Cafe located at 918 Main St., if for no other reason than to try one of the delicious Cinnamon Rolls. If you just can't wait you are able to order them online.

Lulu's Bakery and Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment